Tuesday, March 13, 2012

A first time for everything...

I'm trying something new.  I'm wondering if keeping a blog will help me work on projects faster as I share my progress with friends, family, and complete strangers.... Hi complete strangers!

A little about me:
I've been cross stitching for as long as my mother would trust me with a sharp instrument, the needle.  As near as I can tell that was probably back around the age of 9.  She taught me how to cross stitch and her father taught her how to needlepoint, so it's a family affair.

I worked at Michaels Arts & Crafts for four years... very dangerous, I don't recommend it for any crafters, the employee discount was good though.  I started working there because of the discount and I loved cross stitch and painting.  I swore to stay out of the scrap booking and beading/jewelry making section.

>Umm... that didn't work.  I found a horrible book... okay, it's a wonderful book, but it has cost me so much money with projects.  I loved the idea of creating pictures with beads and quickly tried the samples.  There was one type of stitching I liked the most:  Peyote with wonderful little beads called delicas.

After my foray into beading I found something amazing, in my mind at least.  In one of the catalogs I saw an ad for a company that sold jump rings so you could make your own chain maille!  Now I am a major fantasy buff so this was very exciting for me, and the end product looked amazing.  Now, I'm not talking armor, even though I have a pattern or two for that, I'm talking about necklaces, bracelets & earrings.  Very very cool!

When I was younger, probably closer to the 10 year old stage, my next door neighbor taught me how to crochet, I remembered how to chain, but that was about it.  Michaels has book teaching you how to crochet, so again with my discount a book was purchased and... if you can believe this... with the same crochet hook and yarn my neighbor originally taught me with and gave to me I retaught myself how to crochet.  And yes... I still have them.

So that's enough about me for now.  Did I mention I'm long winded? :)

So I don't claim I'll be the most consistent blogger... it'll probably be a little sporadic.  But it's my blog, I can do what I want.

So thanks for stopping by and bear with me as I am new to blogging and will hopefully make this more my own as time wears on.

No comments:

Post a Comment