So it may come as no surprise to you that I love fantasy so stitching dragons is a no brainer for me. However, what you may not know about me is that I love astronomy. So this pattern puts two of my loves into one piece. And Pluto is included! <3 Pluto!
For this I actually requested the kit from HAED. I had two reasons for this. One; if I had to buy all the colors in skeins it's possible that there would be two different dye lots and that could make it look bad. If I'm going to spend so much time on this I want it to look right. Two; it's ALOT of floss in lots of different colors. I thought having them do it would just be easier. Lucky for me when I requested this kit there was a 20% or 25% off, I can't remember which, sale going on. And the kit was ready to order long before the sale was over.
One thing I will say about the kit is it's very nice.
So I started this at the end of May, I couldn't keep myself from starting it. I started stitching with the Bohin needles. While nice, they did not work for me as well as I had hoped. I went back to my DMC size 28 needles. They are flimsy and the eye does tend to warp, but they're thin, and when you're using one thread that's helpful when trying to finish the thread off by running it under the stitches on the back. I'll probably give the Bohin needles another try when I work on 14 through 18 count fabric.
On to the stitching. I was a bit worried on doing a Max Color chart. I wanted to do this one max color because of all the different colors in the planets. I thought with more colors they'd be closer to the artist's color, and it would look better. My apprehension was on the background. Would the colors be added to the background and make it ridiculously filled with different colors, or would it be decent?
I was happy with the answer. The first page only contains 20 colors, 16 of which are actual background colors, the other 4 are in the tip of Mercury's wing.
I took pictures one color at a time for a bit.
Then I just got carried away and just finished it off.
The bottom unstitched bit is the beginning of Mercury's wing. I'll do that when I get to the page below it.
Pattern: Supersized Planet Dragons Max Color
Original Artist: Rob Carlos
Pattern by: Heaven and Earth Designs
Started Stitching: May 31, 2016
Fabric: 25ct. Magic Guide
Floss: DMC 1 over 1
Percentage: 1.37% complete
Pages: 1 of 78 complete
Stitches: 7836 out of 570,429 complete
The next challenge from HAED is parking a full page. Blech. At first I was going to skip this one, but I realized if I did that it would be the opposite of what the challenges are for. To get you to try something different. If you try it, you might like it. I'm going to do page two of this pattern for the challenge. I picked that because I wanted to take baby steps into parking, page 2 only has 11 colors, so I think that's the best way to approach it. And thankfully they're allowing lightly feathered pages. I think mine qualifies as light feathering.
Wow, this ended up being a lot longer than I thought it was going to be. I don't know when my next post will be, but I'm going to try to catch up. I have much more to blog about.