Monday, August 8, 2016

SS Planet Dragons MC: Second Post - Page 2

As I mentioned in my previous post I was going to do the HAED Facebook Challenge #3 with Planet Dragons, and it was the dreaded parking.  So here's how it went:

My first picture, showing the fabric before the challenge, you've already seen this, pretty much, in my previous blog.

We were allowed to do the whole 10 stitch row at a time, which made me happy since I'm pretty paranoid about the 10x10 squares becoming visible when I stitch, one of the reasons why I preferred cross country stitching.  I use a hoop and decided to keep my threads on the needle since I figured re-threading could cause more damage to the thread.  I immediately made a mess.

By the time the whole row was done, I'd made an even bigger mess.
But I told myself I would do this and maybe see if I began to like it the more I stitched.

So here I am at the halfway point.  By this point I've realized two things, one, it's not very easy to park with a hoop, I couldn't really extract my hoop from this project to work on anything else if I wanted to, and I like to take my hoop off each night after stitching.  This picture shows the one time I did completely remove the hoop.  And the second thing I'd realized is I REALLY don't like parking.
The hanging threads are constantly in my way.  Either they're trying to get trapped under the threads I'm stitching or they're hanging down right where I'm trying to stitch.  I've seen many parkers with multiple needle minders to keep things organized, however I own absolutely no needle minders.

I was having one heck of a time trying to get this done and stay motivated to work on it, but with the hoop trapped on the piece I could either take 20 minutes extracting and reattaching it, or just finish the thing.  I can't explain how happy I was to get to this last row, when I could finally put the ends of the threads where they belong.

And finally done!!
No more random threads sticking out, everything clean... hoop removed.  I'll call it a success.

An interesting note is that when I normally stitch I go from color with the most stitches to the least, I did it the other way around here.  I did the least amount of stitches in the row, then finished with the most.  I think I did this to try to get most of the threads at the bottom of the row and more out of my way.

Pattern: Supersized Planet Dragons Max Color
Original Artist: Rob Carlos
Pattern by: Heaven and Earth Designs
Started Stitching: May 31, 2016
Fabric: 25ct. Magic Guide
Floss: DMC 1 over 1
Percentage: 2.7% complete
Pages: 2 of 78 complete
Stitches: 15,382 out of 570,429 complete

Now that I have actually tried parking I can honestly say it is not for me.  I'll stick to my cross country, except for any other challenges that may come along.  So now my hoop is free and I'm going to finish off part of another project really quick.

4 comments:

  1. Great work on finishing the challenge, it looks beautiful =)
    I'm only half way through so far and miss my usual way of parking :D It all seems to be a big chaos, I normally go column by column and that's way easier to start and finish my threads. I guess I'll be happy when it's done :D But I wanted to try this anyway. As long as it's not tenting, I'm willing to give everything a try ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on finishing the challenge! I'll be starting mine soon

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a fan of full coverage stitching but this design is gorgeous - dragons and the planets! What a great combination. The parking sounds like a nightmare and those two pages sum up the reason why I don't do FC! I'd just buy a beautiful hand-dyed fabric and stitch the fun parts LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, I want to get to the fun parts, but I don't think I would have been happy with anything that didn't look like a nebula on this one. So I felt I must stitch all of it. It'll be a great accomplishment when I finish it, 50 years from now, when I'm 90. :)

      Delete